Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Beware of Fairy Rings!!!!

I have a neighbor who is Canadian. That should help explain this story some.

Anyway, one day when the kids were out playing, she asked us if we were concerned about the recent fairy ring in the neighborhood. Hmmm. This conjured up all kinds of thoughts in my head, just think about it for a minute. What would be floating in around in your head if you heard this exact same thing?

I looked at her oddly and asked her what she was talking about?!?!? What is a fairy ring? She explained it to us and still I honestly did not believe her. Then she took us to see the evidence one street over.

When we got to the other street, we observed a dead ring in this unsuspecting persons yard. I can just imagine what they must of thought, had they looked out their window. There we were, all of us out there staring at their lawn with puzzled looks on our faces. I had just witnessed my first fairy ring.

Google it and you will find the most interesting and frightening things about fairy rings. All we all cared about was it was contagious and none of us wanted it.

I, however, wanted to spread the word about the notorious fairy ring! When I was on the phone with my parents, I asked my father if he had ever heard of fairy rings? He immediately panicked and asked me if I had one?!?!?! He said you have to burn it, burn it! That is the only way you can get rid of it!!! Yes, these fairy rings are serious things!

Unfortunately the fairy ring did make its way to our street. It infected two of my other neighbors, including my dear Canadian who was worried her own father would freak out if he saw it. It has never infected my yard. Good thing because I would not want the fire department called on me.

Which reminds me...have I told you about the time I called the local fire department when I smelled gas? Now there is a story!

Signed hopefully forever fairy ringless,

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Are these the same fairy rings Im thinking of? The circle of mushrooms? How weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine's coming back this year! Maybe my father will dig it up and burn it when he comes for a visit. Although he would be too paranoid to get any of the mushroom spores on his shoes, take them back to Canada and infect his lawn. So no, I guess the fairy ring stays!

    ReplyDelete