Monday, August 31, 2009

A Wedding Story

Since today is my anniversary. I thought it would be appropriate to tell a wedding story.

Once upon a time a daughter got married like all daughters sometimes do. She married her Prince Charming. It was a glorious fairy tale book wedding like all wedding are supposed to be except for one tiny little thing.

Let's face it, there is always one tiny little thing. For some people it is not so tiny and it is gargantuan and for others it is just a minor flaw in the perfect day. For can we not enjoy a perfect day if we do not see the imperfections? Can we truly be perfect or feel perfection if we have never failed?

Here are my funny imperfect wedding stories --

I was at a wedding once where somebodies mother forgot a slip (and didn't realize you could see right through her dress) and had to speed home in her daughters sports car to retrieve it while her husband drove like he was the next Richard Petty.

I have been to a number 2 and a number 3 wedding. After the number 3 wedding, I vowed that I only go to one wedding so you won't see me at number 2 or number 3 unless for some reason I missed number 1. It makes sense, you sure as hell only go to one funeral, so weddings should be the same. And there is never more than 1 wedding gift. You better hope you hold on to it in the divorce.

And there was the wedding where the groom shoved cake so hard and all over the brides face that everyone was appalled and shocked by the situation. They are now divorced.

The attendants can always cause problems or be uncooperative. I was asked to be an attendant at a wedding and dropped out a few months before the wedding. I was not the only drop out and I do regret this now looking back. I dropped out and another did as well over an argument over the bridesmaids dresses. I don't feel too bad though as they are now divorced.

Let's not forget the bride who did not allow children at her wedding. You know what, it is her day and I feel like that is the bride and grooms decision. However, this did cause one of her relatives to not speak to her or attend the wedding.

What about the bride who lit up a cigarette the minute the "I do's" were said and had one dangling from her mouth the entire reception. That also ended in divorce.

One of my most memorable weddings was one that had an open bar and an after party. Yes an after party! Wish I would have thought of that!

I have been to evening weddings that did not serve dinner. I don't expect a sit down dinner but if you drag me out to a wedding and I am in attendance between 5-7 then you better well have something to eat even if it is just finger sandwiches. Otherwise you need to schedule your wedding at a different time.

And then there was the wedding with a cash bar for all beverages. You got to have some free beverages at your wedding. And cash bars are tacky. Just don't have a bar at all. If someone needs a drink that bad to get through your wedding they can bring a flask.

Oh the bride that decided it would be a very North Carolina thing to do to have peel and eat shrimp at her wedding. Let's just say that reception hall smelled like...you get the picture. It was not pretty.

I almost forgot about the weddings that you go to and you wonder if any one will stand up when they ask if there are any objections. That always cracks me up!

We have all been to the wedding where the bride thought it would be beautiful to have it outside and we were all melting and the almost got stung by bees and in the pictures you can see our make up running. Or it rained and you weren't sure whether to go or not and if the wedding would take place or not. Or the wedding where there was hardly a single soul at the wedding ceremony and it was mass chaos at the reception.

But we all know we love weddings. We love to see who misbehaves and gets drunk. Or who goes to a dry wedding and shows their true colors. We like to comment on the attendants and the brides dress. The flowers, the cake, the food or lack thereof. The music, the officiant, the location, the weather. Weddings always make for great conversations no matter what. And they are always better than the alternative. Don't even get me started on living in sin....you all know how I feel about that.

Happy Anniversary DH! Isn't it funny how most men hate weddings but they sure like the honeymoon and that is the part they want to be "in charge" of? DH you did good with Aruba and yes I did bad getting food poisoned. That is another story for another day.

Celebrating my anniversary in style (ok we are doing nothing but that is typical for 13),

post signature

1 comment:

  1. What is wrong with living in sin? I think that deserves an entry. I did it once and it's not fo me. But let's hear your side sweet-n-sassy. :)

    ReplyDelete