Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I have a sickness - the falling sickness

I will tell you, if you are going to fall or trip, please do not do it in front of me or around me. I will laugh. I will make sure you are ok and will stop if you are hurt. However, if you are ok, I will probably laugh harder.

I am the most clumsy person you will ever meet. I have no reason at all to laugh because I will be next but let me tell you I will laugh at myself too.

This normally only occurred when I was young around family. Family falls, you laugh. My mom used to say at least once a year, falling is not funny. I just cannot help myself.

I was reminded of this recently when I went to a AA baseball game. This is really not funny and I told you, I just cannot help it. We were sitting in the second role behind home plate. Excellent seats. The kind you sit in and they flip up after you stand up and you have to push them down again. Well wouldn't you know the kid in front of me got excited at a play and jumped up. Then he went to sit down and sat on the ground as he forgot to put his seat down. He was about 12 but it doesn't matter what age you are, I am going to laugh. I was embarrassed too but I just cannot help it. I was laughing so hard I had to turn away and thought I was going to have to leave the stands. I was just waiting for his mom or dad to turn around and pop me one. The mother sitting next to me even looked at me oddly. I am sorry, it was funny to me. Every time I thought about it that night I would laugh a little and even now, it cracks me up.

One time I lost DH in Wal-Mart. I had sent him to go get a bottle of laundry detergent and he never returned. I was so mad. You know how you get when someone runs off in Wal-Mart and you cannot find them. Finally after calling his cell phone I reach him and tell him what aisle I am in. He returns with no laundry detergent. I said where have you been? Where is my Tide? Then I notice he is as white as a ghost and looks disheveled. I said what is wrong? He says I just wiped out in the detergent aisle. I said what? He says, someone must have busted open a bottle of liquid on the floor and I hit it and went flying down the aisle. By the time I recovered I just wanted to get out of there so I forgot your detergent and I am not going back down that aisle. Well by the time he gets to the end of that I am crying I am laughing so hard. Then he gets mad and wants to know why I am laughing. I said I am sorry that is funny and if you were really smart you should have laid there on the floor. We are in Wal-Mart, I could have owned it over that. Then I laughed the entire day every time I thought about DH sliding down the detergent aisle.

In college we used to have these big outdoor concerts on the lawn. They were free and we had some pretty good people come to sing. When going to one of these concerts with my friends to see Clint Black, we were walking on the lawn in front of the bleachers. They were filled with people. One of my friends all of a sudden was just on the ground. Out of no where. I was like what in the heck are you doing on the ground? She said I fell. Well that was enough to send me into hysterics. She got up and was fine and swears she stepped into some imaginary hole in the grass that none of the rest of us saw. She was so ticked that I laughed and of course all through the concert I would laugh every time I thought about it. I told you it is a sickness.

There was that time my father fell into the sting ray tank at Sea World. This was in 1982 the best I can remember and yet when I went to Sea World this year, I giggled as I remembered that. Falling imprints itself in my memory.

Laughing at the old falls till the next fall,
post signature

1 comment:

  1. No offense to your DH Beth, but I can just picture a grown many sliding down the aisle in Walmart- I giggled. Then I got to your dad's story...apparently I have the sickness too1 :)

    ReplyDelete