Tuesday, September 15, 2009

$7 can make or break you!

Way back when -- well not that far back -- I graduated from college and went on my annual retreat to Florida with my friends to celebrate the end of another school year. This time we were graduates though.

On this trip to Florida, I took pictures like always. I also had pictures from graduation and my party and all of my family who had come in to town to celebrate, etc. I had 2 rolls of 35mm film filled up. Ok, maybe this was way back when because no one had a digital camera at this time.

I took these two precious (at least to me) rolls of film to Eckerds to get processed. I was so excited to relive the memories and show my friends. I even had a coupon for free double prints which I put in one envelope with the graduation photos.

I waited my week (I think that is what you had to wait, I cannot remember anymore) and I went to pick up my pictures. The teenager behind the front quickly brought me one envelope. But I had TWO envelopes not one. I looked in this envelope and there were all of my vacation pictures with my friends but no graduation photos. I explained to him I had TWO envelopes and I had TWO tiny claim slips. He looked all over and could not find the other envelope. I was LIVID. They had lost my graduation pictures.

After talking to the store manager and him making a copy of my claim slip as I wouldn't let him "have" it to research he assured me that he would find my pictures. Yes I was almost in tears and mad, that young mad where you are just going to lose it and they knew it. He told me to return in 24 hours and he would have my lost pictures. He promised.

The teenager checked me out. I said of course you would lose the one with the coupon in it. You just want to torture me don't you? He said nothing and I paid the full price.

I of course told everyone in my path in the next 24 hours about my experience and how upset I was. I also mentioned that they had lost the one with the coupon of course as they wanted me to pay full price for these. My parents were clearly concerned as they didn't want my college pictures lost or the pictures of family that were in there.

My father decided the next day to come with me to Eckerds to see if they had my lost graduation pictures. To this day he will never go with me to Eckerds again or at least that one so I guess it is a good thing they went out of business.

We walked into the store. The store manager is there. He is smiling. I of course am frowning. I am still fuming over this whole thing. I wanted to smack his grin right off of his face. Before I can open my mouth or as I open my mouth he screams GOOD NEWS!!!! We found your pictures. I shut my mouth. I wanted the proof. I held out my hand and didn't say a word. He slid the envelope across the counter, careful not to touch me. I opened it and examined the pictures. They were there, there were double prints, my coupon was in there and all was right in the world. At least my Dad thought so.

The manager apologized to my father, to me, said he understood how important pictures were, blah blah blah. I just stared at him and said yes they are and I will never trust you with mine again that is for sure after this experience. My father looked at me like I was insane. My father said now you got your pictures, it all turned out well, trying to smooth things over. I was having nothing of it.

The manager could see I was still ticked obviously. He says listen, I am not going to charge you for these pictures. I realize we made a big mistake and caused you grief. I am sorry.

My father looked over at me smiling. I was bright red and if smoke could have come out of my ears, I would look like a chimney.

My fathers smile turned down and looked at me like what now? This is when I lost it. I really did loose my mind. I said to the manager that is fine and dandy you want to give me these pictures FREE but these were the ones that had the COUPON in them and therefore I paid full price for the others ones and I could have used this coupon on those and saved $7. So the way I see it you owe me $7.

My father was in such shock for a few minutes he didn't say a word. He was silent and I often think he was probably thinking wake up, you are dreaming, this cannot be happening. While he was silent I went round and round with the manager about how he owed me $7.

Finally my father snapped back to reality just at the time the manager was about to hand me $7 out of his own wallet just to get rid of me. He grabbed my arm, grabbed the pictures and shoved them in my direction and ushered me to the door. I was still yelling as we were going out the door.

My father asked me if I had lost my mind. I said but he owes me $7. He said he gave you the pictures FREE. What more do you expect? I said, I expect my $7. To this day I get riled up over this but laugh at the whole situation to spite myself.

In this day and age you would be happy that they offered you something free. That would be called customer service. Customer service doesn't exist anymore but it did back then. Some times you just don't know what you got till its gone.

Going to my grave with a $7 IOU from Eckerds,
post signature

1 comment: