Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Flash me and I will stop giving out samples!

When I was in high school several of us worked for a local grocery store that is still around today. This grocery store had a bakery where I worked and we actually made the cakes and breads and everything on premises. Today everything is shipped in unfortunately. I think I probably baked 25 thousand DOZEN of cookies while I worked there. I baked 500 dozen a week. It may be more. I am not good at math. If you wonder why I don't bake cookies that much today, there is your reason.

This grocery chain also had a pizza shop. They used to make the pizza fresh and put them out daily to sell to customers. Both the bakery and the pizza shop would put out fresh pizza and cookies for samples to get more customers to buy them to take them home.

Giving out samples is a ton of fun. You would not believe the people you would meet. It made for great gossip and we played games giving out samples. We watched the greedy people take more than one. The people who take one and then come back around 10 minutes later like they are new and take another one. Then there are the talkers who go on and on about how delicious whatever your serving is. We all enjoyed it.

Most of us youths worked the after school to closing shift. This was usually 4-9. We had a great time as we got to get the day old stuff and break it out for samples. We all became really good friends as the bakery, deli and pizza shop were all next to each other. The time clock was the same for all of us so we saw each other daily for breaks and clocking in and out.

Many many nights at 9 p.m. we would all meet in the parking lot and go out and 'party' after work. It was lots of fun. Even those that didn't have a shift that day would meet out in the parking lot at 9:15 especially on weekends.

Well one of those weekends we were going to meet, my friend was missing. I didn't think too much about it but it was odd. She was always there and she worked that night so I expected her even more. She was a no show though.

We all went to our usual place to play pool and goof off. We were sitting at a table chatting when in walks my friend. I asked her what happened and why she was so late. She said she had just come from the police department where she had been questioned. We all leaned in and wondered what in the world she had done.

Well she says, she went to work like normal. She had made a veggie pizza and had took it out of the oven and cut it up for samples. All of a sudden this man came up to get a sample. She offered him some pizza and he offered her something else lets just say and flashed her. Of course the minute she said flashing I was sent into hysterics. I am even laughing now thinking about it. I know, it was traumatic and it wasn't funny but it just cracked me up.

So anyway, she ran into the little pizza room they had for them and called up front and told the manager. Well apparently flasher had been around the whole supermarket and had already shown his goods to some other shoppers and employees.

Unfortunately there was another exit by the deli and my friend was his last victim and he exited out of the side entrance.

The police came and took everyone in for questioning and descriptions. She had to tell the story at the police station over and over again. That is why she was so late.

Flasher wasn't very smart as he didn't have a baseball cap on or any disguise and they quickly identified him and brought him in. My friend had to go back to the police station and stare at a line up and point him out All of the victims identified him and charges were pressed. He made a deal with the DA so it never went to court.

Come to find out flasher was a father in our town with two young kids. He obviously was mentally disturbed and had to go for therapy. I felt sorry for his wife and kids as I don't think they had any idea he was up to such nonsense.

The store made a new policy though and we were never allowed to give out samples again.

Hoping that is as close as I ever get to a flasher,
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment