Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Time is money

You know I used to hear that a lot when I was young and I was like blah blah blah. But now I agree with it more than ever.

I don't have any time. Time is the thing I am always chasing anymore. Have our lives become busier? Or is there really that much more to do?

I feel like I never have a free moment. I thought with all the technology we have today we would have MORE time not less. That is not the case. I find I am more productive than I ever was, I never run out of things to do and I use every piece of technology available to make my life easier yet I am always chasing time.

Now I don't have time to blog. I should have time, I know everyone is thinking I should but I don't. School is in. I feel like I am in too. Signing up for this, volunteering for that.

And I got a blackberry to make my life easier. Yeah, I can talk on the phone and get off and e-mail and facebook and everything else but I am doing that in the middle of carpool line and while shlepping from here to there trying to get errands done. I don't have any moments of down time. When I do I look at my task list on my blackberry and find a mountain of things I haven't even considered yet. My task list is my back burner. Things that I need to do or want to do if I have 1 millisecond of free time I come across.

Is this a better way of life? Are we more productive? I eat lunch and talk on the phone or type at the same time. It never ends. I don't know if the answer is yes or no. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

And my memory. I cannot remember what happened yesterday much less last year. Ask me if I remember xyz and I can guarantee I will say no. Someone mentioned an acquaintance the other day and I SWORE I had no idea who they were talking about and she believed me. Then I was talking to another friend and mentioned it and she told me exactly who it was and how I knew her. That is not good.

I used to work a good 8 hour day. That meant I got there early and left late and put in hours on weekends sometimes when I didn't have to. And I multi-tasked and honestly did the job that would require 2 workers and when I quit, 3 were eventually hired to replace me. Not 3 one after the other, my job was split 3 ways! That was BEFORE all of this technology. Now my DH works 24/7 but still only gets paid salary.

It used to be that salary was THE way to go. All of the big jobs worked for salary. That is not so smart these days. If you are smart, you want to be paid by the hour. You want to get over time and holiday pay. That is the way to go because TIME is MONEY in this new world of technology!


Proud to punch the time clock next time --

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment